Monday, July 31, 2006

Bangkok

Big. Loud. Obnoxious. Saturated with tourists. Hot. Exceptionally humid.

Welcome to Bangkok.

We arrived in Bangkok, and all of the fluids that had accumulated on the flight over immediately drained through our pours and evaporated into the environment. We caught a bus to Koh Shan road, an area so inundated with foreign travelers, that it was difficult to find a Thai person. It reminded me of Las Vegas, at a fraction of the cost.

I ate a grasshopper. I wanted to try a scorpion, or maybe a maggot, but the food vendor offering such dilectable assundries moved elsewhere before our return. Dammit. A man only has so many opportunities to consume fried insects, and I can't imagine finding the same offerings at the local supermarket back in the states.

The food challenges my stomach at every turn. I love it, but I have a tendancy to add too much chili powder to each meal. My forehead turns into a waterfall, and the rest of my body follows. I feel like I'm deflating with so much water rapidly exiting my gelatinous form. With so much delicious food products to consume, such as spring rolls, phad thai, grasshoppers, scorpions, maggots, worms, red curry chicken, green curry chicken, swordfish, fruit shakes, banana pancakes, banana waffles, pineapple, mango, some type of jerky type beef that was so good we had to have two, spicy papaya salad, noodles with chicken, noodles with duck, cashew chicken, chicken with garlic and peppers, and countless others, that I think I'm beginning to look a little like the Buddha sculpture I bought in Tibet - fat and happy.

After picking up Aimie, Keith's good friend, we slept peacefully, in pool's of sweat, and the next morning worked our way to the Grand Palace. The previous post contains pictures of the incredibly intricate structures. They exist as wonderous monuments to the Buddhist religion, and integrate so much detail and artistic beauty, that they almost seem surreal. We arrived at the profound compound later in the day, as our trip had yet again fallen prey to the mechanics of a well conceived and perfectly executed ploy to divert our attention elsewhere.

Stay tuned for part two of our Bangkok exploits, and the trip to Chaing Mai, where I'm stretched like a used piece of rubber by a Thai woman half my size.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

I just got back from NYC where the temperatures, with humidity the weatherman tells me, feel somewhere in the neighborhood of 115-120.

They too have great, big buildings. And as jarjar suggests, plenty of insect life to keep you fat and happy.

And here you spent all this money hoping to go see something exotic.

Silly Rick.

3:06 PM  
Blogger rick the sashquach (with a giant brain) said...

I tried a fried grasshopper in Bangkok. Before flying out of Thailand, I'll try a fried scorpion - maybe!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home